[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Qum

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Nov 4 07:40:46 PDT 2022

Klingon Word of the Day for Friday, November 04, 2022

Klingon word: 	Qum
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	communications, communication related technology
Source: 	BOP

AFAIK never used in a sentence.

(KGT 158-59):  The word {pIn} is also found in non-slang terms referring to crew members on a ship: {QeDpIn} (science officer), {QumpIn} (communications officer). ... Note that for the crew terms, in one case pIn follows a noun ({QeD}, "science" thus, {QeDpIn} is "science boss"), but in the other, it follows what is found elsewhere only as a verb ({Qum}, communicate), suggesting that there may have been a noun {Qum} (communication) at some point in the past.

SEE:
Qum De'wI'  	communications computer (n)
Qum patmey  	communications systems (n)
Qum SeHlaw  	communications console (n)
QumpIn  	communications officer (n);
QumwI'  	communicator,  communications device (n)

Qum  		communicate (v)
   - jIQum   	I communicate. KLS
   - naDev bIQumqa' 'e' vItul. (MO to SuStel st.k 11/96)

(qurgh, 11/10/2015):   I had a conversation with Marc about {'oH} and {ghaH} and animals when I was at the qepHom. He said that if you (the speaker) believe you can communicate with a creature, then it's a {ghaH}, if you don't believe you can communicate with a creature, then it's {'oH}. It's down the personal beliefs of the speaker, not a set formula.

SEE ALSO:
qel 		take into account, consider (v)
rIS 		signal, emit a signal (v)
rI' 		hail (v)
rIt 		summon (v)
van 		salute (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last