[tlhIngan Hol] moon ph(r)ases, new adverbial {loQHa'}

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri May 27 01:12:00 PDT 2022

On Fri, 27 May 2022 at 09:47, Lieven L. Litaer <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:

> Also, he describes a moon that is "a mostly full moon" as "crescent",
> but if I got it right, that should be "gibbous". I guess that's one of
> those small mistakes, because Maltz of course, is not an astronomer. ;-)

Correct, this refers to a gibbous moon. But I don't think he got "crescent"
and "gibbous" mixed up. He was talking about two different things in that
paragraph:

> Another way of referring to a “crescent moon” is {maS loQHa’ So’lu’bogh}
> “moon that is considerably/appreciably hidden.”  And {maS loQ So’lu’bogh}
> “moon that is slightly hidden” refers to a mostly full moon.

He wrote "another way" of referring to a "crescent moon". This means
that {maS loQHa’ So’lu’bogh} is a synonym for {maS’e’ loQ So’be’bogh QIb}.
A "moon that is considerably/appreciably hidden" is the same as a “moon
that a shadow doesn’t slightly hide".

--
De'vID