[tlhIngan Hol] new word {pal'ar} "kinsperson, family member"

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Sat May 28 08:09:55 PDT 2022

In the American South, what you, in Greece, call a “relative” is what we call a “blood relative”. There’s also the term “related by marriage”.

Genealogy is apparently very important to many in the South, likely because so many white people are the poor descendants of plantation owners who lost everything in the Civil War. It’s important here to know of your links to greatness, if your actual life is not all that great. I don’t know the full range of the terms, but they include the likes of “second cousin, twice removed” and that sort of thing.

My mother’s mother was descended from plantation owners in North Carolina. This was part of my decision to never have children of my own.

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)