[tlhIngan Hol] moon ph(r)ases, new adverbial {loQHa'}

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Fri May 27 12:50:18 PDT 2022

The thing about {-‘e’} is that it seems to be used for both Focus and Topic.

My limited understanding is that Focus can happen for any noun in any (not otherwise marked with some other Type 5 suffix) role in a sentence, but there is no grammatical place for Focus in a sentence independent of the other role of that noun, but Topic can be a grammatical function in the sentence separate from subject or object. Topic can be the only reason the noun is in that sentence.

[Topic: Soldiers in the galaxy] You are the boldest!

For me, that gives an adverbial good reason to follow a noun with {-‘e’} on it because as the topic, that noun is not really part of the main clause to which the adverbial is applied. Maybe the noun with {-‘e’} isn’t an object of the verb at all.

This is confusing because SOMETIMES, the Focus noun is object of the verb and other times the Topic noun is not object of the verb.

That’s how it seems to me, anyway.

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)