[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: qul

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon May 16 10:06:10 PDT 2022

Klingon word: 	qul
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	fire

reH latlh qabDaq qul tuj law' Hoch tuj puS
The fire is always hotter on someone else's face. PK

DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'
Set fire on the side when there is danger. PK

tujpa' qul pub SuvwI' 'Iw
A warrior's blood boils before the fire is hot. TKW

'o 'oghlu'meH qul
"O for a Muse of fire [that would ascend The brightest heaven of invention]" (KCD, prologue to Henry V)

'o meQ qul!  'o meQ chal!
(KCD, opening of the song from the opera {qul tuq})

SaqSub qach tIQ beb bIngDaq pay’ qul’a’ tu’lu’ HochvaD pung Hutlh qul
Then fires burst under the roofs of the Saq’sub’s ancient houses, flames have no mercy for anyone. PB

HochvaD pung Hutlh qul
flames have no mercy for anyone. PB

jIbDaj lumeQmoH qul bIQtIq qulHommey
Sparks from the fire river caught his hair PB

qul yIchu'
Light the fire! (DSC Announcement 7/2017)
Light the beacon! (DSC "The Vulcan Hello")

qeylIS wovmoHwI' vItoy'.  qulDajDaq jIboghqa'.
I serve the light of Kahless. I am reborn in his flames. (DSC "The Vulcan Hello")

CULTURE:
  "Pots that may be put on top of a fire in order to heat their contents are made of metal ({baS}) …" (KGT 97)

  "She must see the fire in your eyes. […] Words come later." (Worf counseling Geordi on courting, TNG "Transfigurations")

  "I too have sought visions in the fire." (Worf, TNG "Eye of the Beholder")

PUN:
"cool"?

SEE:
qul tuq  	"House of Fire" (title of opera
qul DIr  		fire skin (n)
qul mI'wI'  	fire dancer (n)
qul naQmey  	matches (n)
qulHom  	spark (n)
rI’meH qul 	beacon (n)

qulHuD  	volcano (n)
qul ngeng  	fire lake (of volcano) (n)
qul bIQtIqHom  fire stream (of volcano) (n)

SEE ALSO:
weQ 		candle (n)
Sech 		torch (n)
qerjIq 		fireplace (n)
tIpqan 		ash, ashes (n)
tuj 		heat (n)
vaHbo' 		lava (n)

meQ 		burn [be on fire] (v)
laQ 		fire/energize [e.g. thrusters] (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last