[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: van bom

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon May 16 07:10:34 PDT 2022

Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, May 14, 2022

Klingon word: 	van bom
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	anthem, hymn

(KGT 77):  A {van bom}, literally "salute song" or "tribute song", is something like a hymn or anthem (indeed, hymn and anthem are common translations of {van bom}) in that it is sung at occasions where it is appropriate to express one's feelings of loyalty and dedication to someone or something. Most typically, a {van bom} praises the Klingon Empire itself, often invoking its founder, Kahless.

(KGT 70-71):  Warriors have long celebrated great achievements and key events in song, reinforcing the importance of the accomplishments and actually reliving them while singing. Great deeds are "deeds worthy of song," as the Klingon leader Gowron once put it, and part of the appeal of engaging in battle is the prospect that, if the battle is a really good one, it will be fought over and over again in song.

(KGT 77 ill.):  Because of the feelings stirred by a {van bom}, the clerics of the monastery on Boreth created the clone of Kahless.

SuvwI' van bom
"The Warrior's Anthem" (i.e. "Qoy qeylIS puqloD")

SEE ALSO:
bom  		song,  chant (n)
bang bom 	love song  (n)
chon bom 	hunting song  (n)
Dap bom 	nonsense song  (n)
HIvje' bom 	drinking song  (n)
may' bom 	battle song (n)

bom mu'  	lyric,  lyrics (n)
bomwI'  	singer (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last