[tlhIngan Hol] new word {pal'ar} "kinsperson, family member"

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Fri May 27 18:44:08 PDT 2022

We seem to be looking for a clearly defined boundary for these terms, but my sense is that {chuD} might be as vague as saying, “My people”. It could be family, {tuq}, racial identity, religious affiliation… There might not be all that clear a definition beyond “people you identify with”. If someone insults {chuDlI’}, you get as ready to fight as if they were personally insulting you. It could be that simple.

And the boundaries might move around depending on context.

Like the Arab saying:

"Myself against my brother. Myself and my brother against my cousin. Myself, my brother, and my cousin against the world."

It might take nothing more than a common enemy to define the current context for {chuD}.

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)