[tlhIngan Hol] {mej} with and without {-vo'}

Iikka Hauhio fergusq at protonmail.com
Thu May 26 08:07:36 PDT 2022

SuStel:

> And by the way, the gloss ofghoSalso includes "go away from." I have no doubt that you could say things likebIQtIqvo' vIghoSI go away from the river.ghoScan impart an ablative meaning to its object instead of a locative meaning, so we should not be surprised if adding the ablative suffix to the object has no effect on the sentence besides being redundant.

​

Is there evidence that ghoS can add the ablative meaning to its object? ghoS is used tens of times in canon and every time its object doesn't have any type-5 suffix it means "go (to)".

When ghoS is used to mean "go away from", it has -vo':

> chaH neH wovmoHlu'be'
> chaH 'emvo' ghoS
> SuvwI'pu' mangghomyoH
>
> The sun shone not on them only,
> Behind them came
> An army of brave warriors.
>
> (paq'batlh)

​

Based on the evidence we have I don't think we can say that a nominative object could have an ablative meaning. I think the definition just means that in some contexts (ie. when -vo' is used), the verb can be translated with "go away from".

Iikka "fergusq" Hauhio