[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: che'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Mar 15 07:58:15 PDT 2022

Klingon word: 	che'
Part of speech: 	verb
Definition: 	rule, reign, run, preside
Source: 	TKD

DaH che' ghawran. yejquv DevwI' moj ghawran 'e' wuqta' cho' 'oDwI'
  Dapu'bogh janluq pIqarD HoD.
Gowron currently presides, named leader of the High Council by Captain
  Jean-Luc Picard, who was acting as Arbiter of Succession. (S25)

qIb boche'meH qeylIS HoS bolo' 'ej SuvwI' vaSDaq boquvmoHlu'.
Control the Galaxy with the might of Kahless and be immortalized in the
  Hall of Warriors. (MKE)

'etlh DoQDI' meQchu'pu' che'rupbogh
his promised kingdom will be ash by the time he claims the sword (PB)

che'taHvIS val qeylIS 'ej yoH
during Kahless's reign of wisdom and bravery (PB)

SEE ALSO:
ghatlh 		dominate (v)
qum 		govern (v)
loH 		administer (v)
vu' 		manage (v)
ra' 		order, command (v)
Dev 		lead, guide (v)
tutlh 		be official (v)

cho'  		succeed (to authority) (v)
gheS 		assume duties of, take on responsibilities (v)
Sugh 		install [in office] (v)
Son 		relieve (v)

pIn 		boss (n)
HI'tuy 		dictator (n)
ngup 		authority, power, one in authority, one in power, one in charge (n., slang)
ngup'a'  	the Dominion (GN)
woQ 		authority, political power (n)
woQ'a'  	ultimate power (n)

APPOSITE QUOTATIONS:
  “To reign is worth ambition though in Hell:
    Better to reign in Hell, then serve in Heav’n.” (Lucifer in Milton’s "Paradise Lost")

  “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.” (Voltaire)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last