[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: yuv

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Mar 30 07:21:03 PDT 2022

Klingon word: 	yuv
Part of speech: 	verb
Definition: 	push

AFAIK never used in a sentence.

(KGT 76):  To finger the {may'ron} [ie. accordion, concertina ] -- that is, to push the buttons -- is to {Heng}

(KGT 113):  The verb {bI'} ("sweep") refers to the action of pushing something out of the way by using an implement or the forearm as if it were a broom.

(KGT 115):  During the course of a bout, both parties … alternately lunge (jop), that is, push the bat'leth toward the opponent, and deflect (way'), or use the bat'leth to push the oncoming one away.

SEE:
yuvtlhe'  	lid,  cover,  cap (n)
  - PUN: based on the instructions on child-proof medicine bottles: push (yuv) while turning (tlhe')

SEE ALSO:
'uy 		press down (v)
vo' 		propel (v)
ghoS 		thrust (v)
luH 		yank (v)
raQ 		manipulate by hand (v)

nItlh 'echlet 	keyboard (n)
leQ  		switch,  button (n)
  - (Lieven, 11/16/2014 < qepHom 2014):  And a [computer] mouse is a {'eQway'} … could have a {leQ} "button" (but more generally "switch") and it usually has two (a {poS leQ} and a {nIH leQ}, "left button" and "right button" respectively) … To "click" one of the buttons is to {'uy} "press down" (even though the action is really to press down and then release). To say to "click" on a link, for example, the verb {wIv} "select, choose" is used rather than {'uy}.

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last