[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: DuH

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Mar 21 07:49:23 PDT 2022

Klingon Word of the Day for Sunday, March 20, 2022

Klingon word: 	DuH
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	possibility, option

Hoch DuH yIqel
Consider every possibility!

(KGT 108-10 in re {Hoch nuH qel})" This is an idiom cloaked in the terminology of the military that has a wider application. It is used to mean "Consider every possibility" or "Consider every option," with the word {nuH} (weapon) standing metaphorically for possibility... It is not a set phrase, so it is heard in various forms, such as a command ({Hoch nuH yIqel!}--literally, "Consider every weapon!" but meaning "Consider every possibility!"), question ({Hoch nuH Daqel'a'?} ["Did you consider every weapon?"]), or statement ({Hoch nuH wIqelpu'} ["We've considered every weapon"]), and it can be negated ({Hoch nuH qelbe'} ["He/she does not consider every weapon"]). The regular word for "possibility" is {DuH}, and, grammatically, there is no reason it could not occur instead of {nuH} in these sentences ({Hoch DuH yIqel} ["Consider every possibility!"] is a perfectly well formed sentence), but this is simply not the normal way to express the advice. The use of {nuH} (weapon) for {DuH} (possibility) may have been influenced by the Krotmag dialect pronunciation of {DuH} as something very close to {nuH} ...

(De'vID < MO, 2/17/2018 in re the "preferences" or "settings" page found in software):  Maltz thought that {SeHlaw} could work if it’s referring to the whole page, not individual settings. An individual option or preference is {DuH}.  A category is {buv} "classification.”

SEE:
‘aHDuH 	prototype (n)

DuH  		be possible (v)
  - yIntaHvIS qIrq DuHbe' roj
    There will be no peace as long as Kirk lives. (ST5 notes)

DIch 		certainty (n)
wIv 		choice (n)
'eb 		opportunity, chance, opening (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last