[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: gha'cher

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Mar 21 07:42:47 PDT 2022

Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, March 21, 2022

Klingon word: 	gha'cher
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	goat-like creature
Source: 	qep'a' 26 [2019]
AFAIK never used in a sentence.

(qep’a’ 2019):  Closest Klingon goat analog

TREK TRIVIA:
  “If she fails us, we'd better get used to herding goats.” (Kirk, “Who Mourns for Adonais?”)

SEE ALSO:
DI'raq  		sheep (n) TLP
  - (Lieven, 9/01/2018):  The prince was asking for a sheep. The used word sheep (French *mouton*) does not imply any gender. When the pilot drew one with horns
  - (MO to Lieven? [date?]):  There's a fluffy, woolly, shaggy Klingon animal called a {DI'raq}, similar to a sheep. To distinguish, one can say {tera' DI'raq} the first time it comes up, but probably shorten it to just (DI'raq} after that. A male sheep, that is, a ram, is called {DI'raq loD}. It's two words. Kin terms (like {puqloD} and {lorloD}) are set terms, regular vocabulary items. For animals, Klingon doesn't have special words for male vs. female. That is, English has ram (male), ewe (female), sheep (both/either), but Klingon has only an equivalent for sheep – no separate word for ram or ewe. If it's necessary to specify sex/gender, it's done using the noun-noun construction.

bolmaq  	[hyena??]
  - (Keith R.A. DeCandido's novel  "Klingon Empire: A Burning House"):  An animal native to the planet Boreth that makes a bleating sound and tends to run around in circles a lot.
  - (Felix, 7/25/2016):  Also, according to DeCandido, the {bolmaq} is more similar to a hyena than a sheep. I believe I asked this question in connection with the Minecraft translation

ghugh 		vocalize (by animals) (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last