[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: jIrmoH

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Mar 18 07:12:46 PDT 2022

Klingon Word of the Day for Friday, March 18, 2022

Klingon word: 	jIrmoH
Part of speech: 	verb
Definition: 	crank, can be used for turning a doorknob.
Source: 	qepHom 2020

(De'vID, 6/30/2015):  Marc said that the subject of {Ding} spins, and that someone or something {DIngmoH}s something else. Actually, what he said was that the pair {Ding} and {DIngmoH} worked like {jIr} and {jIrmoH}, but he changed the topic (or the topic was changed on him) before he could further explain what was the difference between {Ding} and {jIr}.

(KGT 60):  There is an extensive vocabulary for the moves associated with bat'leth use. … To twirl or rotate the bat'leth is {jIrmoH} and to toss it from one hand to the other (the same word is used whether left to right or right to left) is {baQ}.

SEE:
jIr  			rotate,  twirl (v)
jIrmoHwI'  		twister, rotator (n) (TLP )
tlhegh jIrmoHwI' 	windlass (“rope twister/rotator”) (TLP)

SEE ALSO:
jI'ev   			handle, knob, doorknob (n)
DIng 			spin (v)
tlhe' 			turn (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last