[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: bIp'uy'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Mar 11 07:31:33 PST 2022

Klingon word: 	bIp'uy'
Part of speech: 	num
Definition: 	100 billion
Source: 	qep'a' 27 [2020]

(wa’)bIp’uy’
(wa’)vatlhSaghan
100 billion

(qep'a' 2020):  Any 1-9 digit, of course, can appear in the {wa’} slot

Other numbers revealed at qep'a' 2020 are:

(wa’)maHSaghan
(wa’)netlh’uy’
10 billion

(wa’)maH’uy’
(wa’)vatlhbIp
10 million

(wa’)vatlh’uy’
(wa’)SaDbIp
(wa’)SanIDbIp
100 million

(wa’)SaDSaghan
(wa’)SanIDSaghan
trillion

SEE ALSO:
bIp  	hundred thousand (num)
'uy'  	million (num)
  - wa''uy'
     one million (KLS)
  - qaStaHvIS 17 DIS chenmoHlu’ 800,000 repmey lunatlhlu’ 450 morgh
      men velqa’ ‘oH DIlmeH 21 ‘uy’ ‘ewro lunatlhlu’
    In 17 years and more than 800 hours of work on 1500 square meters a
      miniature world of superlatives was created that cost over 21 million
      euros to build. (Miniature Wunderland)

(MO to DeSDu’, DIS 2889):  For tens of millions, you have a choice. 30,000,000 could be {wejmaH'uy'}, as you suggest, or it could be {wejvatlhbIp}. Either is fine, and the choice would probably be determined by what other (big) numbers were being mentioned in the same context. If no other numbers are around, flip a coin.

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last