[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tlhab

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Mar 7 07:16:47 PST 2022

Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, March 05, 2022

Klingon word: tlhab
Part of speech: noun
Definition: freedom, independence

AFAIK the noun has never been used in a sentence.

TREK NOTES:
  "I have seen what the Klingons do to planets like yours. They are organized into vast slave labor camps. No freedoms whatsoever. ... Hostages taken and killed, your leaders confined. You'd be far better off on a penal planet." (Kirk, "Errand of Mercy")

  "Freedom? That is a worship word. Yang worship. You will not speak it!" "Well, well. It is our worship word, too." (Cloud William and Kirk, TOS "The Omega Glory")

  "Freedom and liberty have to be more than just words." (Kirk to Cloud William, TOS "The Omega Glory")

SEE:
tlhab  		be free, independent (v)

jItlhab
I am independent. KLS

tlhab; ngem Ha'DIbaH rur
free (independent) as a forest animal
["though this refers to how or where any animal lives rather than to a specific animal" (KGT 132)

Sepmey tlhab
Countries (TNK: "Category Title")

molor tlhabmoHlu'
Molor's Release (PB, title)

tlhInganpu' tlhabqa'moHmeH
[to make the Klingon people] self-sufficient once more (PB)

SEE ALSO:
tlhay’ 		be tame, domesticated (v)
toy' 		serve [a master] (v)
ghatlh 		dominate (v)

mu'mey' noy:
   “War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.” (George Orwell, "1984")
   “Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four.  If that is granted, all else follows.”  (George Orwell, "1984")

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last