[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tej

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Mar 1 08:09:25 PST 2022

Klingon Word of the Day for Tuesday, March 01, 2022

Klingon word: 	tej
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	scientist
Source: 	TKD

AFAIK never used in a sentence.

GRAMMATICAL NOTES:

(De’vID, 7/26/2019):  At the 2014 Saarbrücken qepHom'a' … Okrand made a remark along the lines that, generally, if there's a {QeD}, there's a corresponding {tej}.  Sometimes he explicitly reveals a {tej} for a {QeD}, but sometimes he doesn't.

(qepHom 2019 booklet):  There is a pattern that if there is a {xQeD}, then the {xtej} is automatically correct.  {xQeD} and {xtej} are generally written without a space, but there are few exceptions:  {DI'ruj QeD} "metaphysics" is two words (as is {DI'ruj tej}).  Also, {Hov leng QeD} "treknology" is a made-up word (or phrase) that doesn't come from Klingon culture; it was a one-time translation of a chapter heading in a non-Klingon publication. So Klingons aren't concerned about that one.

SEE:
DI'ruj tej	[metaphysician] (n) [N.B. two words]
Hovtej 		astronomer (n)
mI' tej 		mathematician (n) [N.B. two words]
quntej 		historian (n)
yuQtej 		geographer (n)
'an'ortej 	paleontologist (n)
'otlhtej 		someone who studies quantum mechanics (n)

SEE ALSO:
QeD 		science (n)
wIgh 		genius (n)
jonwI' 		engineer (n)
HaDwI' 		student, scholar (n)
Qel 		doctor, physician (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last