[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: mIv

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Mar 2 07:40:17 PST 2022

Klingon word: 	mIv
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	metal flat-bottomed pot (regional)

AFAIK never used in a sentence.

LANGUAGE NOTES:
(KGT 27-28):   For example, while a large, flat-bottomed pot usually called a {bargh}, in some regions it is a {vutmeH 'un} (pot for preparing [food]), sometimes shortened to simply {vut'un}. … In some regions, a {bargh} made of metal is a {mIv} (which also means helmet, even though, historically speaking, helmets are not necessarily made of metal), or a {mIv bargh} ("helmet pot"), while a ceramic {bargh} is called a {chor} (literally, belly) or {chor bargh} ("belly pot").

CULTURE NOTES:
(KGT 97):  The general term for a pot is {'un}. Pots that may be put on top of a fire in order to heat their contents are made of metal ({baS}); others may be made of either metal or ceramic material ({nagh} [literally, "stone"]). A {bargh} is probably the most frequently used pot. It is rather large and has a flattened bottom. The smaller {nevDagh} is characterized by its V-shaped handles, termed {DeSqIvDu'} ...

JOKE/MNEMONIC:
(De’vID, 9/19/2019):  How does Kortar cook his food? With the {bargh} of the Dead!

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last