[tlhIngan Hol] Time elements and *qaStaHvIS*, continuous and perfective aspect

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Mar 1 09:20:40 PST 2022

On 3/1/2022 12:10 PM, luis.chaparro at web.de wrote:
> Maybe I've found the source of misunderstanding. When you say in English *Yesterday I ate at 2 pm*, does it mean that at 2 pm you have already eaten?

No. It means that the eating occurred at 2 pm, but doesn't say anything
about when eating was completed. Without any further context, one would
assume that the eating /started/ at 2 pm, but it's not literally saying
that. You're taking your finger, pointing at 2 pm, and saying that that
is when you ate. You're not discussing how long it took you to eat it or
when you started or stopped eating. 2 pm is treated like a durationless
point in which the action occurred, even if the action is not literally
instantaneous.