[tlhIngan Hol] [Tlhingan-hol] canon sources of some names?

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 23:19:29 PDT 2022

Resurrecting an old message...

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 at 15:15, Steven Boozer <sboozer at uchicago.edu> wrote:

> De'vID:
> > While going through my lexicon to clean it up, I came across several
> > names (of people) for whom I don't have a canonical source annotated:
> > {Day joH}, {qeylIn}, {qeylor}, {qunI'vaS},
> >
> > Does anyone know where they are from?
>
> [snip sources for {Day joH}, {qeylIn}, and {qeylor}]
>
> {qunI'vaS}  Kunivas
>
> Spelling from TKW of a character in TNG "Heart of Glory"

Lieven just alerted me to the fact that {qunI'vaS} isn't found in TKW, and
I flipped through the book myself and couldn't find it either. Does anyone
know if it's canon or where it's from?

Looking through the mailing list archives, it looks like it was KWOTD on
Mar. 24, 2000, with "TKW" listed as the source:
https://www.kli.org/tlhIngan-Hol/2000/March/msg00343.html

Going further back, it was included in a list of names "from TKW" on May
24, 1998:
https://www.kli.org/tlhIngan-Hol/1998/May/msg00463.html

However, that list contains many names which are obviously not canonical
(e.g., *{qulgh}, *{qern} which have impossible phonology). It looks to me
like the poster intended to provide a list of the names of Klingons which
appeared in TKW *in English* (e.g., "Klag", "B'Elanna", "Kern"), along with
*their* attempt at "translating" them back into Klingon, but this was
misread as a list of Klingon names (i.e., actually written in Klingon) from
TKW. However, as far as I can tell, "Kunivas" does not even appear in
English in that book, although the names of two other Klingons from the
same episode, Konmel and Korris, both do (but only in English), and are
given Klingon translations in that list.

So, unless someone can come up with a canon source for {qunI'vaS}, I'll be
removing it from {boQwI'}. (Or maybe I should tag the entry as non-canon
with a note about its apparent history.) Those of you keeping word lists
yourselves should do the same.

--
De'vID