[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ghugh

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Jun 13 07:23:41 PDT 2022

Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, June 13, 2022

Klingon word: 	ghugh
Part of speech: 	verb
Definition: 	vocalize
Source: 	qep'a' 24 [2017]

(qep'a' 2017):  referring to sound emitted by an animal, but not speech

SEE ALSO:
http://klingon.wiki/En/Sounds

HaS 		squeak (v)
Huy 		hum, purr (v)
  - "can be used both for singing without words and for the sound a (not huge) engine makes. Used also for the sound of a cat: purr." (Lieven, qepHom 2018)
Qoghogh	snort (v)
ghughugh  	growl (v)
  - jatlh; ghughughwI’ rur speak with vocal fry (“Sometimes {ghughugh} alone suffices”) (qep’a’ 2020)

'Imyagh 	sound made by a vIghro' or ghISnar cat (excl)
  - "This is an imitative word and there are variations. And not everyone uses it in the first place." (qep'a' 2017)
welwelwel  	sound made by a targ (excl)
  - "The number of times this syllable is repeated is variable. This is an imitative word and there are variations. And not everyone uses it in the first place." (qep'a' 2017)

jatlh 		say, speak [people only?] (v)
tlhen 		sound as, produce the sound of (v)
rIS 		make a cracking or snapping sound (v)
chuS 		be noisy (v)
qIn 		moan, groan (v)

QIch 		speech (i.e. vocal sounds) (n)
ghogh 		voice (n)
wab 		sound, noise (n)

Note the similarity of the verbs {ghugh} "vocalize", {Qoghogh} "snort", and {ghughugh} "growl" to the noun {ghogh} "voice".

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last