[tlhIngan Hol] info from paq'batlh that's not really new

Iikka Hauhio fergusq at protonmail.com
Fri Jun 24 17:46:47 PDT 2022

​De'vID:

> A: {qatlh Sutamchu'?} "Why are you all silent?"
> B1: {tlhIH(1), SuvwI'pu' Hem,} "You, proud warriors,"
> C: {boghIjlu''a'?} "Are you afraid?"
> B2: {tlhIH(2) je, qanra' puqloD,} "And you, sons of Kahnrah,"
> D: {pejatlh!} "Speak up!"

​

I'm confused about this. First of all, B1 is a vocative expression of C and B2 is a vocative expression of D. They are different sentences. But even we somehow accept that B1 and B2 are parts of the same sentence, we get this:

tlhIH, SuvwI'pu' Hem, tlhIH je, qanra' puqloD

I don't understand how the apposition qanra' puqloD can come after je. My understanding is that je ends the whole noun phrase. Therefore, if we want to connect an apposition to a noun phrase inside the je phrase, we should put it before je:

tlhIH, SuvwI'pu' Hem, tlhIH, qanra' puqloD je

I add parentheses around the noun phrases:

(tlhIH, SuvwI'pu' Hem) (tlhIH, qanra' puqloD) je

I think this is obviously allowed. However, if we move the second apposition after je, the second noun phrase stops, then comes je and then the noun phrase continues. This just seems odd to me.

Iikka "fergusq" Hauhio