[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: toqwIn

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Jun 24 07:20:43 PDT 2022

Klingon word: 	toqwIn
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	(rubber) stamp
Source: 	qepHom 2015 p.19

toqwIn vIDut 
I slam down the stamp. (qepHom 2015)

Lieven L. Lietaer interviews Marc Okrand (10/29/2015):
   MO:  A stamp (rubber stamp, a tool/device, not postage stamp) is a {toqwIn}. To use a stamp, you ink it up and then you {Dut} it ("slam [it] down"). The word for ink is {rItlh}, and the ink pad is called {rItlh 'echlet}. The image that results from using a rubber stamp is {yang}.  
   LLL:   When you ink it up, do you simply {Dut} it into the {rItlh 'echlet}?
   MO:  Yes, but there is a way to say that you're applying ink. To "ink up" a rubber stamp is to {laS} it. This verb is also used to refer to putting paint on a {rItlh naQ}. Maltz said that there's a slang term for this action also: {pID}. 
   LLL:   Can the verb {Dut} "slam down" be used for other things, too? 
   MO:  Yes, like when you're angry, you "slam down" the phone. The verb {Dut} is not exclusive to the use of a stamp, right. 
   LLL:   So the stamp is the object of the verb {Dut}. The object is not the paper: {toqwIn vIDut}. I slam down the stamp. 

Dut  		stress, emphasize (v) (qep’a’ 2020)
  - “literally ‘slam down’ ” (qep’a’ 2020)

DIj  		use/paint with/draw with a pigment stick (v)
wev 		sketch, doodle, draw [quickly] (v)
ngoH 		paint using fingers (v)
nguvmoH 	dye, tint, stain (v)
ghItlh 		engrave, incise, mark (v)

Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last 
    year or two. I’ve fallen woefully behind in updating my files.

More information about the tlhIngan-Hol mailing list