[tlhIngan Hol] Maus-words: News from Okrand

Iikka Hauhio fergusq at protonmail.com
Mon Jun 6 13:59:20 PDT 2022

De'vID:

> What's the difference between "tomorrow I do something", "as soon as tomorrow happens I do something", and "while tomorrow happens I do something"? Replace "tomorrow" with "[in] the future".

​

There's a huge practical difference between "tomorrow" and "the future as a whole".

First of all, we don't know how Klingons define "the future". Does it start immediately, or does "the present" continue for a while and only after that the future begins? Can there be multiple different futures? Is it relative/deitic? Can I talk about the near future and the far future? Which of these possible interpretations does tuch by itself mean without further context? It's possible that even Klingons don't know (if the concept is fuzzy enough).

Tomorrow is a well defined time-span, so the different ways to use it in sentences have a clear meaning. Future is not well defined (at least for us). I think Dana'an's questions are important, but impossible to answer with our current knowledge.

Iikka "fergusq" Hauhio