[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Soj

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Jun 6 08:08:03 PDT 2022

Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, June 04, 2022

Klingon word: Soj
Part of speech: noun
Definition: matter, concern, affair (idiomatic)
Source: HQ v10n4 p.5, QelIS boqHarmey

(HolQeD 12.3 p.9):  All this talk of pseudohonor and nonhonor logically led to a discussion of honor itself, normally expressed by the nouns {quv} and {batlh}, both usually defined as simply honor. When asked to distinguish between the two, Maltz said, "{tlhIngan Soj 'oH — not bIyaj}," literally, "It is Klingon food — you will not understand," using {Soj} "food" in its idiomatic sense of "matter, concern, affair".

(Klingon Alice, p.239):  The idiomatic meaning of the verb {Soj} can also be used to express the idea of “mind your own business.” In these sentences, it means concern, that is, something of interest or importance to someone.

SEE ALSO:
wanI' 		phenomenon, event, occurrence (n)
ghu' 		situation (n)
Dotlh 		status (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last