[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ja'chuq

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Jun 10 07:12:56 PDT 2022

Klingon word: 	ja'chuq
Part of speech: 	verb
Definition: 	discuss, confer
Source: 	TKD

(TKD 65):  The verb is made up of {ja'} "tell", {-chuq} "each other"; thus, confer is "tell each other."

ja'chuqmeH rojHom neH jaghla'
The enemy commander wishes a truce (in order) to confer. TKD
[(source?):  MO indicates that {ja'chuqmeH} is part of the object, not a purpose clause that modifies the whole sentence (cf. TKD 64-5)]

maja'chuqjaj?
[Uhh...] Can we talk? PK

'uQ wISoppu'DI' maja'chuq
We will talk after dinner. PK

quv HIja'chuqQo'
Don't speak to me of honor. PB
(De’vID < MO, 10/14/2020):  I think rather than clarification it requires revision. I think the verb {ja'chuq}, glossed in TKD as "discuss, confer", was used inappropriately here. The "discuss" that {ja'chuq} is used for is when there are two (or more) people talking to each other, a back-and-forth conversation. In the sentence in the paq'batlh, no discussion of this kind is going on. Molor is just telling Kahless not to do something; Kahless doesn't come back with a counterargument. Since there's no discussing (or conferring) going on, {ja'chuq} is the wrong verb.”

ja'chuq Dalopchu'.  Qang Damoj.
Complete the Rite of Succession to become chancellor. MKE

(Lawrence Schoen, qep'a' 2008, Okrand asked Maltz about how to say "digress"):  He wasn't aware of a single word for that, but he said there's a commonly used phrase:  {DoS chIl}. So "I digress" would be {DoS vIchIl}. And so on.

SEE:
ja'chuq  	ancient part of the Klingon Rite of Succession (n)

SEE ALSO:
qel 		consider (v)
ghoH 		argue, dispute (v)
ngach 		debate (v)
Sutlh 		negotiate (v)
pon 		persuade, convince (v)
yu' 		interrogate (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last