[tlhIngan Hol] {je} "too" with doubly {-bogh}'ed nouns

Iikka Hauhio fergusq at protonmail.com
Thu Jun 2 06:46:26 PDT 2022

Dana'an:

> Colors aside, as far as grammar is concerned, should someone repeat the {je} twice?
>
> "ship which searches and locates romulans, and traps them and kills them too"
>
> romuluSnganpu' nejbogh 'ej Sambogh Duj, 'ej vonbogh 'ej peqbogh je
>
> romuluSnganpu' nejbogh 'ej Sambogh Duj, 'ej vonbogh je 'ej peqbogh je
>
> Which of the two would be the correct choice?

​
They are both grammatically correct. I believe what you are asking is does Klingon have ellipsis. If we want an adverbial to apply to the sentences, can we drop it from the other?

The answer is, in some cases, probably:

> qaQaH DaneHbe'chugh
> vaj qul wIchenmoH 'ej matlhutlh
> 'Iw HIq yItlhutlh
>
> If you don’t want my help,
> Then let’s light a fire and drink,
> Have some bloodwine!

​

Here vaj seems to apply to both lighting fire and drinking.

However, je is a bit special, so I'm not sure how ellipsis works with it. It might be clearer to repeat it.

Iikka "fergusq" Hauhio