[tlhIngan Hol] inherently plural nouns when they are implied

Iikka Hauhio fergusq at protonmail.com
Wed Jun 1 06:38:37 PDT 2022

In Swedish there are grammatical genders called common and neuter gender. The neuter gender is the "default" gender that is used when the gender of the word is not known, and after the word is introduced, people switch to the correct gender.

For example: Vad är det? – Den är en hund. (What is it? It's a dog) Notice how the first speaker says det while the second speaker says den, as hund is a common gender word.

I think something similar would happen in Klingon, so I imagine this conversation:

'Iv chaH?
– negh ghaH.

In situations like this, I expect that there can be some variance between speakers. Maybe some repeat chaH as the asker used it. Maybe some first start using chaH and then switch when they realize that they must use ghaH. Maybe some switch back when they want to use another word with a normal plural.

Iikka "fergusq" Hauhio