[tlhIngan Hol] slang vs. idiomatic usage

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Sat Jun 11 04:38:33 PDT 2022

Hello dear friends,

I'm expanding this topic from a discussion on Facebook. I'm not claiming
that I'm right with this, but just want to hear your opinion or
clarification on this.

Basis: Okrand sometimes gives words he labels as "used idiomatically",
such as {Soj}. He also sometimes has words he calls "slang".

The point:
Someone said that in the context of Klingon, "single words used
idiomatically" would be what is called "slang".

I think that is not the case, but I might be wrong, maybe I confuse
something.

My opinion is based on this:
After all, why would KGT have two separate chapters for this? On page
21, it talks about "slang and idiomatic usages", so clearly makes a
difference: "slang" AND "idiomatic usage".

 From my knowledge, and what KGT also says, is that slang refers to
terms used in a special way (think of English "bucks" or "greenbacks"
for "dollar note") while idoms are phrases or words with an additionaly
meaning (like "raining cats and dogs"). Also, slang is [mostly] used by
younger people in a colloquial way while idioms are set parts of the
language and both young and old people use it, and can also be used in
written language, which one would avoid with slang terms. [KGT 136, 142]

Is there a clear answer on this?

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"