[tlhIngan Hol] verb prefix on XvaD Y ponglu' construction when Y is plural

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 06:18:33 PDT 2022

If we have canon for this, then it is settled. If we don’t have canon, then I suggest that a focus on Klingon grammar that we know.

There are three nouns implied by {yupma’vaD Hoch panatheneans (lu)ponglu’}. The subject is indefinite. The object is plural. The indirect object/beneficiary is singular. Unless you are using the prefix trick, which one never uses with the indefinite subject and certainly no one is using here, the indirect object has nothing to do with the prefix. The plural object should determine the prefix.

TKD gives us no rules as to the use of alien words. So far as we know, Klingons simply don’t use them, except to transliterate proper names, and even then, we are given no advice as to whether to use the foreign plural, as you have done, or Klingon plural suffix. If you go with the foreign plural, then you should not assume that the Klingon you are speaking to understands the foreign language enough to know that it is plural, and if you wish to convey that information, the best tool available is the verb prefix.

Then again, we’ve been told that omitting {lu-} when it would be appropriate is perhaps the most common error in Klingon grammar, so in the end, unless this is some formal setting, it probably doesn’t matter very much.

Meanwhile, the thing that leaps out at me the most is the use of untransliterated foreign words that violate Klingon phonology. I don’t think we have any canon for that, and it’s probably presumptive for us to do that. If we know for sure that the recipient of the communication is multilingual, then it makes sense, but if you were talking to a Klingon and you did that, I would not assume that you were safe from a response that included physical violence.

Maybe.

Maybe not.

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh