[tlhIngan Hol] thoughts on the perfective {-pu'}

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sat Jul 16 13:34:03 PDT 2022

On 7/16/2022 4:01 PM, Will Martin wrote:
> So, since there’s no {bIchultaH} in the sentence, we’re not really
> saying much in terms of the duration of Kahless being wise. At some
> point while he was living, he was wise, at least once. Maybe several
> times. Maybe a lot of times, but certainly not continuously.

That's not how *-taH* works. You don't need *-taH* on a quality verb
that has its quality for more than a moment. *bIchul* doesn't mean you
were wise in one instance. It means you have the quality of wisdom and
doesn't say anything about how long you had that quality. To say
*bIchultaH,* on the other hand, is to say that you have the quality of
wisdom for an ongoing period. *bIyIntaHvIS bIchul* could mean you are
wise some or all of the time you are alive. You might be wise
occasionally or constantly. *bIyIntaHvIS bIchultaH* would almost always
be interpreted as saying that you are wise throughout your life.