[tlhIngan Hol] thoughts on the perfective {-pu'}

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sat Jul 16 07:55:43 PDT 2022

On 7/16/2022 9:29 AM, D qunen'oS wrote:
> If instead of {bIyIntaHvIS bIchul ’e’ Da’aghta’} we had {bIchul ’e’
> Da’aghta’ bIyIntaHvIS}, would there be any difference?

(I'm going to drop the *-ta'* because it freaks me out.)

*bIyIntaHvIS bIchul 'e' Da'agh.
*/You are wise while you live. You show that./

*bIchul 'e' Da'agh bIyIntaHvIS.
*/You are wise. You show that while you live./

In the first sentence, you are being wise while living. In the second,
you are showing while living. If the showing and the being wise cover
the same time span, then there is no practical difference between these
even though there is a conceptual difference. If showing and being wise
are not identical in time span, then the difference between being wise
while living and showing while living is significant.