[tlhIngan Hol] origin of the name "Saq'sub"

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Jul 15 07:10:45 PDT 2022

Nearly fogot…  There are other examples of {Saq} as a morpheme in nouns:

Saqjan                  landing gear (n) (KBoP)
Saqghom             landing party (n) (TLD?)
SaqDaq                landing site (n) (qepHom 2018)

--Voragh

From: tlhIngan-Hol On Behalf Of De'vID

Lieven asked me about this off-list, and in the interest of sharing Klingon-language trivia, I'll copy my answer here.

<It was made up for the opera 'u'. The writers needed a name for Kahless' native region and didn't have one, so they made up a word that means "hero's land" ({Sub} "n. hero", {Saq} "v. land"), and put the words together in the manner of {paq'batlh} "book of honor" and so on. I don't know why they used {Saq} the verb and not {puH} the noun. Either they made a mistake or they just liked the sound or look of "Saq'sub" over "puH'sub" or whatever it would've been.

Since it was used in the opera, we didn't change it. It's a proper name anyway and isn't given a meaning in-universe.>