[tlhIngan Hol] verb prefix on XvaD Y ponglu' construction when Y is plural

Iikka Hauhio fergusq at protonmail.com
Wed Jul 6 13:11:35 PDT 2022

De'vID:

> For Klingon, I don't think we have the canonical backing to make any firm conclusions, but my gut feeling is that the object of {pong} is really a word/phrase (or a set of words/phrases), so it depends on the number of names being used, not the number of things being named.
>
> chaHvaD tlhInganpu' ponglu'.
>
> tlhInganpu'vetlhvaD martaq ghawran je luponglu'.
>
> latlh tlhInganpu'vaD pongmey law' luponglu'.

​
I agree with this. However, the situation was that the festival has only one name that happens to be plural (perhaps similar to the United States example you gave).

Specifically, Dana'an's question has two separate questions combined:

- Are foreign plural words treated as grammatically singular or plural?
- If a plural word is a name and we refer to it as a name, is it grammatically singular or plural?

Answer to neither of these questions is obvious.

For the first question, given that in Klingon irregular plurals are treated as singular, I think it might well be that foreign plural words are also treated as singular. There is no evidence for this possibility either. It is also possible that Klingons recognize the foreign plural form and treat the word grammatically plural.

For the second question, I don't think we have enough evidence for either direction either.

Iikka "fergusq" Hauhio