[tlhIngan Hol] {vaj} the english "so" and joining multiple {-bogh} phrases by {vaj}

D qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 06:31:38 PDT 2022

I just read in Merriam-Webster that the English "so" can be either an
adverb or a conjunction. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/so

And there it lists the following examples which show how "so" acts as an
adverb:

- do you really think so
- are you ready? I think so
- I didn't like it and I told her so
- worked hard and so did she
- and so home and to bed
- had never been so happy
- thought that his share wasn't so big as his brother's
- loves her so
- can only do so much in a day
- you did so do it
- I so don't believe you
- the witness is biased and so unreliable

But now lets see the examples it lists where "so" acts a conjunction:

- the acoustics are good, so every note is clear
- be quiet so he can sleep
- don't want to go, so I won't
- so here we are
- so what?
- so, that's who did it

The thing I observe is that the examples of Merriam-Webster where the
English "so" functions as a conjunction, are the examples which if I was to
translate in Klingon I'd use the {vaj}; but the {vaj} in Klingon is
supposed to be an adverb and not a conjunction. On the other hand, I don't
think any of the Merriam-Webster examples where "so" acts as an adverb
could be translated by the Klingon adverb {vaj}.

So, either there's something here which I'm serious misunderstanding, or
this is the case of another intentional attempt, to "alienize" a language
crawling with terran puns.

Anyway, I'll stop here before proceeding to the main dish, in case someone
would like to comment anything on the above.

--
Dana'an
https://sacredtextsinklingon.wordpress.com/