[tlhIngan Hol] thoughts on the perfective {-pu'}

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 18:09:44 PDT 2022

On Tue, 5 Apr 2022 at 14:16, mayqel qunen'oS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> Or perhaps does voragh know of a Ca'Non example where we have the {-pu'}
> on a quality/stative verb?

I just encountered an example of this that I'd forgotten about earlier as I
was checking through the revisions for the paq'batlh. But since it's been
revised, it doesn't really exist as an example any more.

That line was (in the 1st edition):
"Kahless the unforgettable, / I welcome you in Sto-vo-kor, / For you lived
wise and honorable."
{qeylIS lIjlaHbogh pagh / Suto'vo'qorDaq qavan / batlh bIyInta' 'ej
bIvalta'}

The revised line in the 2nd edition will be:
"Kahless the unforgettable, / I welcome you in Sto-vo-kor, / For you lived
wise and honorable."
{qeylIS lIjlaHbogh pagh / Suto’vo’qorDaq qavan / bIyIntaHvIS bIchul ’e’
Da’aghta’ ’ej batlh bIvangta'}

First, the verb {val} "be clever" (from TKD) was changed to {chul} "be
wise" (revealed in 2020). Second, the entire sentence was revised because
its meaning wasn't a good match for or expression of the meaning of the
English version. The original sentence was trying to apply {val} as if it
were an adverb to {yIn}, which just didn't work.

--
De'vID