[tlhIngan Hol] verb prefix on XvaD Y ponglu' construction when Y is plural

D qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 04:50:18 PDT 2022

Sometime ago, I wanted to say "they called the festival the panatheneans".

So, initially I wrote {yupma'vaD panatheneans ponglu'}.

But immediately I realized that the word "panatheneans" is plural; I can't
translate it exactly in English, but it's like saying "the all Athenses".
And by saying "Athenses" I mean the plural of the word "Athens". As if
there are many cities, each by the name of Athens, and we're meaning all of
them.

(Perhaps, a similar example would be "they called the festival 'all
solstices'").

Anyway, back to the original question.. Since the word "panatheneans" is
plural, what should I write?

yupma'vaD panatheneans ponglu'
yupma'vaD panatheneans luponglu'

Which of the two would be the correct choice?

--
Dana'an
https://sacredtextsinklingon.wordpress.com/