[tlhIngan Hol] verb {tlhap} "take" for beings

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Jan 21 06:03:25 PST 2022

On 1/21/2022 8:46 AM, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
> Am 21.01.2022 um 13:40 schrieb mayqel qunen'oS:
>> Suppose I write:
>>
>> Qang qopmeH HoD, wej mang tlhappu', 'ej vaS'a' lujaHpu'
>> in order to arrest the chancellor, the captain took three soldiers and
>> went to the great hall
>>
>> Is this use of {tlhap} correct?
>
> This sounds strange to me, because it suggests the grabbing of a person.
> For this situation, I would use {tlhejmoH} or smiliar.

In English, /take/ has a very broad range of meanings. It can mean to
grab something, but it can also mean to cause it to accompany you (hence
your *tlhejmoH*).

Most of the time, canonical examples are referring to getting a physical
object into one's possession. But there are potential exceptions.

*De' vItlhapnISpu'*/I needed to get the information./ (TKD) This isn't
completely different than the other examples, but it's abstract and
talking about /getting/ instead of /taking./

Another is in KGT, where we get the sentence *qatlh betleHDaj
tlhapbe'?*/Why doesn't he take his bat'leth?/ We know this doesn't mean
/Why doesn't he grab/acquire his bat'leth?/ because *tlhapbe'* is then
translated for us as /He/she does not bring it./ It means /Why doesn't
he carry his bat'leth with him? /This example especially matches
Qa'yIn's proposed usage.

Does Qa'yIn's sentence work? Maybe.