[tlhIngan Hol] adverbs acting on each other adverbs referring to each other

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Jan 17 07:59:20 PST 2022

On 1/17/2022 10:06 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> jIH:
> > Of course, if I'm wrong, I'd love to be corrected.
>
> However, I don't think I'm wrong, since there's the adverb {DaH} which
> perhaps no one would disagree if we used it as..
>
> DaH vabDot bISuvqangbe'
> even now you are unwilling to fight
>
> So, yep! That's it. Case closed. This answers the problem, (or at
> least *my* problem).. So off to pdf this thread and add it to my notes.

Not so fast! Who says that *DaH* is modifying *vabDot* in that sentence?

I think it's perfectly possible that each adverbial should be considered
to modify the entire sentence including all the other adverbials. So in
*DaH vabDot bISuvqangbe'* we have:

*DaH* modifies *vabDot bISuvqangbe':
*/Now, you are even willing to fight./

*vabDot* modifies *DaH bISuvqangbe':
*/It is even the case that you are willing to fight now./

If this is correct, then this sentence is not evidence that adverbials
directly modify each other the way you're supposing. Don't jump to
conclusions.