[tlhIngan Hol] "Seasons of Love" in Klingon / And two grammatical questions

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Thu Jan 6 15:13:56 PST 2022

Thanks for your thoughtful response. It does look like, as you suggest, Okrand has not been sufficiently consistent for rules to be derived with certainty.

I could read {Qapla’meywIj Hoch vIta’ta’} as “I have accomplished the whole of my successes.” He’s speaking of all of his successes as one grand accomplishment. Apparently, he felt that honor would have made that accomplishment impossible, suggesting that the accomplishment is a higher priority than honor. No single success would have been more important than honor, but the whole collection of them held more moral mass than the abstract inconvenience of honor. Those who would speak of the importance of honor are, by his perspective, smaller minds with smaller goals.

As a Klingon, perhaps I would be content to be such a smaller mind.

Anyway, as you suggest, the finer points of the use of {Hoch} and {HochHom} have yet to be laid out for us clearly. Would that Maltz be more forthcoming.

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)