[tlhIngan Hol] expressing "body parts" {'ay'Du'} or {'ay'mey}

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Sat Jan 29 07:34:09 PST 2022

This is only true because we combine sub-functions, naming them by collection.

Think of the difference between an internal combustion engine and a turbojet. The internal combustion engine (like in your car) uses batch processing so that everything tends to happen in one place (the cylinder) at different times. Intake, compression, ignition/combustion, exhaust.

The jet has an air inlet where intake happens, a set of compressor turbines where compression happens, a combustion chamber where ignition and combustion happens, and an exhaust nozzle/exhaust turbine where exhaust happens. If the jet engine were alive, the intake, compressor, combustion chamber, and exhaust nozzle would be organs, but you might call the function they all do together “propulsion”.

The boundaries are arbitrary.

My point is that an arm is not an organ. Lose an arm and life might become a bit more challenging, but all your bodily functions continue, unaffected, assuming the wound heals before you bleed out.

Lose a heart, or lungs, or stomach, or intestines, you have serious problems dealing with the loss of a bodily function.

Of course, the appendix and tonsils are organs, and we’re not quite sure what they do, and we get along fine without them, so there are exceptions to every rule.

I was just trying to help, figuring that if focusing on function didn’t work as I suggested, perhaps someone else might find a more acceptable term. I confess failure at an effort that no one else, so far, has succeeded, so I still think it was worth the effort. Apparently, Maltz doesn’t work in the medical profession, or we’d be better informed.

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)