[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ghaS

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 27 07:57:29 PST 2022

Klingon word: 	ghaS
Part of speech: 	verb
Definition: 	indicate, signal
Source: 	qepHom 2020

(qepHom 2020, "How to say: nod in agreement"):
    The verb {qel} ("nod") refers only to the motion of the head, not what such a motion may or may not indicate.  To express that the nodding means something, such as agreement, you could say something like {Qochbe' vaj qel nachDaj} ("he/she agrees so his/her head nods").
    It is also possible to make use of {ghaS} ("indicate, signal"), for example, {Qochbe' 'e' ghaSmeH qel nachDaj} ("his/her head nods in order to indicate that he/she agrees") or {Qochbe' 'e' ghaSmeH qel ghaH} ("he/she nods in order to indicate that he/she agrees" or "he/she nods in agreement").
    In some cultures, a nod may indicate something other than agreement, so one might say, for example, {yaj 'e' ghaSmeH qel ghaH} ("he/she nods to signal that he/she understands").

SEE ALSO:
'ang 		show, reveal (v)
cha' 		show, reveal [picture] (v)
'agh 		show, demonstrate, display (v)
'otHa' 		disclose, divulge, premiere (v)

rIS  		signal,  emit a signal (v)
rI' 		hail (v)
lab 		transmit data [from a place] (v)
lI' 		transmit data [to a place] (v)

maQ  		signal, sign (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last