[tlhIngan Hol] using {ngan} as a suffix {ngan} as the suffix {-ngan}

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Wed Jan 26 05:59:21 PST 2022

Am 26.01.2022 um 14:36 schrieb mayqel qunen'oS:
> Initially, I thought the same. But I started wondering whether there
> was this subtle difference:

Regarding space in words, Okrand once explained that as Klingon was
initially intended to be a spoken language, so written spaces make no
difference for him. When saying the words, they do not sound differently.

Read more on that topic here:
http://klingon.wiki/En/Spacing

For you to keep record, here's the relavant part:
The space between words has caused some confusion and also some
discussions among Klingonists because Marc Okrand has not always been
very consistent in using them.

Explanation
Basically when a space is left between two words, it is called a
noun-noun-construction while omitting the space creates a compound noun.
The only grammatical difference between these is that suffixes cannot be
added into a compound noun.

Okrand has mentioned several times that since Klingon is intended as a
spoken, not written, language, he does not see much difference in the
usage of the language: "Marc Okrand recently mentioned to me that while
there's a common perception that noun-noun constructs must be separated
by spaces, he's actually not at all picky about that."

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"