[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: puq Hol

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Jan 25 08:09:23 PST 2022

In English yes, but “catching a bug” means something quite different to Klingons:

   ghewmey SuqQo'
   Don't catch any bugs!  (ST6)

which is smuggler's code for "Good luck in avoiding border officials!" according to the ST6 novelization.
   ghewmey tISuqQo'
   Don't catch any bugs.  (TKW)

(TKW p.207):  “The Klingon guard at listening post Morska found this advice funny. Klingon humor is difficult to understand, so there is no ready explanation as to why he was so amused.”

And there’s this joke from Power Klingon:

   Qo'noSDaq paw cha' DIvI' beq.
   tlhIngan 'avwI' lughom.
   lutlhob «naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq majaHlaH'a'?»
   jang 'avwI' «lIchopbe'chugh ghewmey!»

   Two Federation crewmen arrive on Kronos.
   They meet a Klingon guard.
   They ask him, "Can we get to the Great Hall from here?"
   The guard answers, "If the bugs do not bite you!"
… which may mean being arrested by the “bugs” (police? security guards?).

Voragh