[tlhIngan Hol] adverb {vaj} conjunction "then" "thus" "and then" "and thus"

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Mon Jan 24 05:28:15 PST 2022

This is obviously a loose translation of a poorly written Klingon sentence. {vaj} is not a conjunction in Klingon, but the words it gets translated into in English can be used as conjunctions in English.

{vaj} is most commonly used as an adverbial on the main clause of a sentence with a {-chugh} based dependent clause. In English, it’s “if/then”, not “because”.

There are also times when some text (a sentence or more) describes a condition, followed by a separate sentence beginning with {vaj}. The condition is essentially the combination of a conditional, plus confirmation that the condition is met in terms of meaning. In the example you show, “My father’s husband has two brothers,” is the condition.

Think of it as, “If my father’s husband had two brothers (and he does), then I’d have two uncles (and I do).”

The problem here is that the example compresses things by omitting both the “if” and the parenthetical “and he does”, keeping in one sentence what should have been “My father’s husband has two brothers. Thus, I have two uncles.” Maybe you could use a semicolon instead of a period, since the grammatically independent sentences are tightly bound in meaning, but we have no guidance on the use of semicolons in Klingon.

The point here is that by all we know of Klingon grammar, the comma in the Klingon sentence is wrong because we don’t combine two main, independent clauses with a comma and no conjunction. Maybe the transcript omitted an uttered {‘ej}?

Most likely, the example is intended to focus on the word used for “uncles”, since the relationship is more specific in Klingon than in English. There are more kinds of uncle in Klingon. With his attention focused on “uncle” he got sloppy with {vaj} and punctuation.