[tlhIngan Hol] adverb {vaj} conjunction "then" "thus" "and then" "and thus"

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 04:30:11 PST 2022

(This concerns a discussion having taken place in Discord some days ago.
I'm posting this here, since one can't easily follow a discussion being
interrupted by a continuous feed).

In Duolingo there's the sentence: {cha' loDnI'pu' ghaj vavwI' loDnal, vaj
cha' tennuS vIghaj}

Someone translated this as "My father's husband has two brothers, thus I
have two uncles", and Duolingo replied "Incorrect. Answer: My father's
husband has two brothers, so I have two uncles".

Then SuStel commented:

*****quote starts*****

I doubt it's an allowed option, but It would need to be and thus. So is a
conjunction when used this way; thus is not. Either that, or you'd need a
semi-colon before the thus, but the course generally doesn't push two
independent clauses together without being in a sentence-as-object
construction or conjoined.
Hm. I wonder if it's even formally correct to use so as a conjunction like
this.
And since the Klingon doesn't have a conjunction either, it's probably just
a bad example all around.

*****quote ends***

I'm not concerned with Duolingo, so I'm not asking regarding which sentence
it should accept as the correct one. But what I don't understand is the
following.

I was under the impression that the adverb {vaj} was more or less a way to
express things like "because something happens, happens something else";
and if I remember correctly the {vaj} was all we had before the {-mo'}. The
way I understand {vaj}, it is used to lead to a logical conclusion as a
result of something which was already stated.

I can't understand the comment about it being a conjunction, when used in
the way of the Duolingo sentence.

It seems perfectly normal to say: "my father's wife has two brothers, so I
have two uncles", which would be the equivalent of "because my father's
wife has two brothers, I have two uncles". Or alternatively "my fathers
wife has two brothers, so (and the logical conclusion follows) I have two
uncles".

--
Dana'an
https://sacredtextsinklingon.wordpress.com/