[tlhIngan Hol] expressing "a cat making biscuits"

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 05:39:58 PST 2022

And no, I haven't lost it (at least not yet, anyway..); I'm not
talking about a cat literally making biscuits. I'm talking about a
specific feline behavior. Read:

https://www.pumpkin.care/blog/8-ways-cats-show-they-love-you/

*****quote starts*****

6. Kneading

While this may not be the most comfortable one of the bunch, your cat
kneading you is a sign of love and affection. Kneading (also known as
“making biscuits” for the way it resembles a human making dough) is
when a cat pushes their front paws up and down on a surface,
alternating between left and right. Some cats retract their claws
while kneading – others don’t. Cats will knead on many types of soft
surfaces, including their humans (especially when you are petting
them). Besides being another way to mark you using the scent glands on
their paw pads, your cat kneading you is a sign they feel comfortable
around you. Kneading is an instinctive cat behavior. Newborn kittens
will knead at their mother to help stimulate milk production while
they are nursing, and so the act of kneading is associated with
comfort.
What is comforting to your cat is not always comfortable for you
though, considering the happier your cat is, the harder they will
knead you. Even though they are loving on you, those sharp claws can
be unpleasant to say the least. If your cat is a serious kneader, you
may want to keep a blanket on hand to put some cushioning in between
your kitty’s claws and your skin.

*****quote ends*****

--
Dana'an