[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: wagh

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Jan 19 11:35:21 PST 2022

Klingon Word of the Day for Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Klingon word: 	wagh
Part of speech: 	verb
Definition: 	be expensive

AFAIK never used in a sentence.

(qep’a’ 2021 Q&A period:
Q: Can {mIp} {be rich} be used for minerals in the ground, or only people?
A: [3:50] I would say that it refers to people and money and stuff like that.
Q: [So not the rich deposit of gemstones?]
A: That's a different word, right. Well, that's confusing because gemstones
     are worth money, but there's a different word for "rich soil" or some-
     thing like that. [...] The land isn't rich. After you do something with it,
     the person may be rich. [4:30]

(Okrand, "Re: Expensive Word," st.k 7/01/1997):  {wagh} is "be expensive" ... If you're not a Klingon but plan on tasting *gagh*, by the way, I suggest you find a good restaurant and stick to {qagh wagh} "expensive *gagh*".

(KGT 36):  Klingon society is a stratified one. That is, there are clear distinctions between those with great wealth and influence and those with little or none. ... Some houses are particularly wealthy, controlling vast lands by means of armed forces loyal to the particular house.

(KGT 5):  Some houses (that is, lineages) are more wealthy and powerful than others.

SEE ALSO:
lo'laH 		be valuable (v)
mIp 		be rich (v)
Qej 		cherish, value (v)
qutlh 		be cheap (v)
lo'laHbe'  	be worthless (v)

Huch		money (n)
mIp  		wealth, richness (n)
  - {DojneS mIplIj}  Your wealth is impressive, your honor. PK
qav'ap 		sum (of money), rent (n)
qengHoD 	treasure, booty, plunder, swag, loot (n)

F. Scott Fitzgerald once told Ernest Hemingway, “The rich are different than you and I.” Hemingway replied, “Yes, they have more money.”

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last