[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'olQan

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 13 07:46:20 PST 2022

Klingon word: 	'olQan
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	gap
Source: 	qep'a' 25 [2018]

(qep'a' 2018):  like the space between your teeth or the area between rows of seats in a theater, but it (and {‘olQanmey}) can be used for the space in a room, space on a desk, etc.  A verb commonly used with {‘olQan} is {‘uch}.  This generally means "hold, grasp", but when the object is {‘olQan} it’s often translated "occupy" or "take up.")

PUN:
“I have no proof but I believe that {nu'Qan} is somehow related to {'olQan}, as they both refer to some kind of gap. (And talking of puns: they start with ‘new’ and ‘old’, and I don't think that's a coincidence).” (Lieven, 10/05/2021)

Cf. http://klingon.wiki/En/Spacing

SEE:
nu’Qan  	alcove (n) (qep'a' 2021)

SEE ALSO:
logh 		(outer) space (n)
QemjIq 		hole (n)
qung 		hole in a musical instrument (n)
DIn 		open entryway (to corridor, tunnel, conduit, Jeffries
		tube, branch of sewer, etc.) (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary or notes from the last