[tlhIngan Hol] difference between the nouns {Segh} and {mut}

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Jan 27 13:38:37 PST 2022

On 1/27/2022 4:20 PM, Steven Boozer wrote:
> There was a sort of in-universe explanation for this:  Following clues
> provided by Professor Richard Galen, Capt. Picard, Klingon Capt.
> Nu'Daq, Cardassian Gul Ocett, and an unnamed Romulan Commander raced
> to discover a four-billion-year-old genetically encoded message from
> an ancient humanoid species. (who may have been “The Preservers.”
>  Since we’re all humanoid species are genetically related this
> explains how we’re able to interbreed.

No it doesn't. The message was encoded four billion years ago, and in
all that time, all of Earth life evolved. We can't interbreed with our
closest relatives separated by only ten million years or so, let alone
four billion. Even if the story's premise is true, human beings still
have more genetic code in common with an oak tree than with a
Cardassian. This explanation raises even more questions and
impossibilities than it answers.

It really is a matter of not paying any attention to that man behind the
curtain. Star Trek intelligent species are humanoid because the actors
portraying them are human. They speak English because English-speaking
audiences need to be able to understand them and because inventing new
alien languages is a lot of work. They can interbreed with humans
because it's convenient to the writers that they do so, and it's easy
for audiences to accept this because they basically look like humans anyway.