[tlhIngan Hol] using {ngan} as a suffix {ngan} as the suffix {-ngan}

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Wed Jan 26 06:52:42 PST 2022

Am 26.01.2022 um 15:20 schrieb SuStel:
> On this list, the convention is to not forge new compound nouns

I know about that convention, and I also follow it because I see that
it's useful.

But nevertheless, I talk to Marc Okrand about this, and he wondered why
this convention existed. He said that TKD tells us how make compound
nouns, so wondered why we don't.

I don't want to change anyone's mind, but... "just sayin'."

> it goes against our convention. (And you can do what you like if your
> compound is a proper noun.) Lieven was given special dispensation to

As a side note, I chose for that word because it had already appeared in
The Klingon Hamlet (which does use several compound nouns as well, by
the way).

You wouldn't need
> a special note like that if you could freely form compounds like this.)

Well, that quote also is not a proof. It just means what it says: that
the word {ta'puq} maybe doese not mean what I want it to mean, it does
not mean "prince" because I use it that way. But it DOES mean {ta'puq}
whatever a Klingon thinks it means, and it is a valid word. Is it canon?
No. Is it wrong? No. So depending on how you see and interpret this, it
is okay to make your own compounds. Okrand never said you should not.
It's our own convention.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"